Hello! I’ve just passed two more exams to get MCPD 3.5 D&D Windows Apps certificate!
The venture constisted of two exams needed to achive this, listed above:
- 70-505 : TS : Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Application Development – scored 978/1000, and
- 79-563: Pro: Designing and Developing Windows Applications Using the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 – scored 971/1000.
And here are some of the topics and questions you might encounter on them:
70-505: Windows Forms on 3.5
You can expect several groups of questions:
– about multithreading (BackgroundWorker, DoWork method, picking up the results from thread execution),
– about controls and forms (MDI, inheritance chain, composite controls),
– printing (paging, printing controls),
– security (SafePrinting, lots of Vista-related questions!)
– installation (ClickOnce mostly is the answer, also MSI, versioning)…
70-563: D&D Windows Apps on 3.5
You can expect rather short questions (not typical for MCSD/MCPD certificates) describing a business case. You should, in most cases, propose one or more suitable strategies on how to solve the problem using one or more ‘trendy’ technologies provided by Microsoft. My suggestions follow:
– choose Microsoft Sync Framework when you have to deal with occasionally connected solutions (“have to work also on a local computer when offline..”),
– choose Microsoft SQL Server Compact Edition in case you have small portable scenario,
– choose the most ‘tough’ encryption algorythm in case you should protect data locally (Rijndael, TripleDES, etc.),
– learn how to migrate from Windows Forms to WPF and vice versa (ElementHost, WindowsFormsHost) -> hey, that’s the topic of my lecture!!,
– choose ClickOnce technology in most of the cases for installation scenario (if it does not include any GAC component or custom code),
– choose MicrosoftReportViewer in cases of reporting solution in most of cases (if not simple one),
– learn LINQ, because you gonna need it for the exam.